The Barker Historical Museum is located in the heart of Fredonia, New York inside the Darwin R. Barker Library. The museum includes archives, two research libraries and rotating exhibits.
Did you know?
- Fredonia was the site of the first natural gas well in the world and the first village to be illuminated by natural gas lighting in 1825.
- In 1868, Fredonia became the home of the first dues-paying Grange of the Grange movement.
- In 1873, Fredonia was the birthplace of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union.
- Many famous authors, including Grace Richmond and Jean Webster, made Fredonia their home.
- Fredonia was the home of Mark Twain’s family.
- Fredonia is the site of the first home for aged persons in the State of New York. The Women’s Christian Association (WCA) home is located on Temple Street.
The Museum is open:
Check out our new Facebook page!